Homeopathic treatment for Thyroidism
Updated: Aug 20
Thyroidism is a condition which occurs when the thyroid gland either produces inadequate hormones(Hypothyroidism) or it produces more than enough hormones needed(Hyperthyroidism).Both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism affect the thyroid gland but in different ways.
Causes of Thyroidism:
Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism have many causes but they are quite different from each of them.
Causes of Hypothyroidism:
– The causes of hypothyroidism are:-
– Genetics-Sometimes having a family bloodline history of hypothyroidism plays a role in causing this condition.
– Hypothyroidism may be induced by other autoimmune diseases like Rheumatoid Arthritis,type-1 Diabetes,etc.
– Medication-Excessive intake of certain medicines may cause Hypothyroidism.Lithium and Radioactive iodine can cause
– Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis-The most common cause of Hypothyroidism is Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.This is a disease in which the
immune system makes antibodies which destroy the thyroid cells,thus preventing the production of the hormones.
Causes of Hyperthyroidism:
– The causes of hyperthyroidism are:-
– Excess intake of iodine causes the thyroid gland to produce more than the required hormones.This is because, iodine
contains T3 and T4.
– Tumours of ovaries or testes and benign tumours of the thyroid or pituitary gland cause Hyperthyroidism.
– Grave’s Disease-The most common cause of Hyperthyroidism is Grave’s Disease. It’s quite the contrary to Hashimoto’s
disease. In this disease,the immune system makes antibodies which cause the thyroid gland to secrete excessive hormones.
Symptoms of Thyroidism:
Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism have some common symptoms as well as different and opposite symptoms.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism:
–The symptoms of hypothyroidism are:-
– Dry skin
– Weight Gain
– Muscle cramps and weakness
– High cholesterol levels
Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism:
–The symptoms of hyperthyroidism are:-
– Weight loss
– Difficulty sleeping
– Weakness and fatigue
– Irregular heartbeat
– Increased appetite
– Difficulty in concentrating or focusing on one task
– Anxiety and nervousness
Treatments of Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism:
Thyroidism can be treated in many ways. It includes special diet,medication,meditation and natural exercises.
The best natural exercise for Thyroidism treatment is undoubtedly yoga.The stressful day to day activities can aggravate the condition in the patients and thus yoga is very beneficial for relaxation of the body as well as the mind.
Yoga Remedies for Thyroidism:
–Some of the yoga poses which help to curb or decrease the condition are:-
– 1. Sarvangasana-
Also known as the Shoulder Stand Pose,it helps in controlling thyroxin hormone by stimulating the thyroid gland.
– 2. Matsyasana-
This is also known as the Fish Pose as it takes the shape of a fish.This pose stretches the neck and thus stimulates the thyroid glands.
Suitable Diet for Thyroidism patients:
Besides yoga,a special healthy diet can reduce the symptoms of thyroidism,however the diets for hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism are different.
Best Foods for Hypothyroidism:
– Iodine-Iodine is the most essential mineral needed for the thyroid glands to produce sufficient hormones.Thus Iodine deficiency causes hypothyroidism.Some of the foods which contain iodine are dairy products,fish and eggs.
– Zinc-Zinc helps the body to activate thyroid hormones.Some zinc rich foods are beef,chicken and shellfish like oysters.
– Fruits and vegetables-People suffering from hypothyroidism should consume adequate amounts of fruits and vegetables.
– Plenty of water should be consumed.
Foods to avoid for Hypothyroidism:
–Some of the foods which need to be avoided by hypothyroidism patients are:-
– Grains-Gluten is a protein found in grains like wheat,rye,etc.It causes an autoimmune disease called Celiac disease.It’s well known that autoimmune diseases can cause other autoimmune diseases and thus Celiac Disease may cause Hashimoto’s disease which is the main cause of Hypothyroidism.
– Soy Foods like tofu,soy milk,etc contain goitrogens which hamper the normal functions of the thyroid gland.
– Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli,kale,spinach etc also contain goitrogens and hence should be avoided.
Best Foods for Hyperthyroidism:
– Cruciferous Vegetables-It is highly advisable to consume cruciferous vegetables as they contain Goitrogens which influence the thyroid glands to produce lesser amounts of hormones.Some cruciferous vegetables are broccoli,cauliflower,spinach,etc.
– Omega-3 Fatty Acids help the thyroid gland to function normally.Foods containing Omega-3 fatty acids are cold water fish like Tuna,Salmon,Mackerel,etc.
– Soy Foods should be included in the diet as they contain goitrogens.
Foods to avoid for Hyperthyroidism:
– Iodine-Foods containing high amounts of iodine should be avoided as iodine helps the thyroid glands to produce the hormones.
– Alcohol and Caffeine should be avoided.
Homeopathic treatments of Thyroidism:
– Some of the homeopathic medicines which can be used to decrease the symptoms of thyroidism are:-
– 1. Conium Maculatum-This homeopathic medicine is prescribed for people suffering from depression due to hyperthyroidism.It helps to build the focus and concentration and prevent distractions during work as well.
– 2. SepiaOfficinalis-This is a significant homeopathic medicine for hypothyroidism patients.It is prescribed for people who become very weak.The patients’ face become pale and they faint easily.This medicine helps in decreasing these symptoms.